~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Primitive Cutting Board "Vision"

I've had a plain wood cutting board laying around for several months. My plan was to paint it mustard, distress and add to the kitchen counter with my 2 other distressed cutting boards. But a couple of weeks ago I had a 'vision' of doing something more with it! As I stated in the post prior to this one, I am fascinated, obsessed, addicted whatever you'd like with depression era photos. They so intrigue me, that these people lived through these horrible & hard times, in the conditions that they did, it's amazing.

So here is my 'vision' come to life. I first painted the cutting board black:


I then put several top coats of mustard over the black once it was dry:


I sanded it down to give it a distressed look with my little sanding block:


After sanding and nicking up some with a hammer, I applied my walnut stain. I left it on for around 20 minutes, then wiped off. It settles nicely in the nicks and I like the subtle overlay of sheer color it gives:


Here is the depression era picture I had chosen to use. It shows 4 children around the dinner table eating the scraps they have. You can see how dirty the kids are, how badly in shape their living quarters are. To my amazement, there is a little cat in the lower left of the photo. After all these people struggle with and for, they still are able to have a pet to bring joy to their world. I used Mod Podge to adhere the photo to the board.


I painted on the bottom of the cutting board the word "HOPE" with little "x's" in between the letters.


After using clear sealer on the entire board, I sprinkled some cloves over it and rubbed into the board while the sealer was still a bit damp. Here is the back of the board:


As you can see I added a little prim button to the picture and a thick piece of jute holding a rusty key was tied around the cutting board handle:


Here is a close up of the picture & the word on the finished project:


I decided to hang it on the side of our microwave. I draped the cute prim towel I received from my J*S*P*F* secret Santa over the top of the board:




I'm really happy with the way it turned out!

6 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME!!! What a unique idea to do to your board!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a different idea. Love how it turned out! TFS! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kitty~ I LOVE that!!! Love the children and can't imagine living in those times! Happy New Year to you and yours!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very good. Thanks for showing us how with the paint too. I also like your torn edges on the picture, some use the decorative edge scissors but I like this better, it is more primitive. Happy, happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete