First of all I LOVE white lights! I keep them out all year round! I have a fake potted tree on our front porch (it looks real though...it's wispy) and I have white lights on that. Going up our staircase inside there are white lights draped in sheer fabric, which when we get back home in April, I will take pics to show you! yea!
So the project I worked on yesterday was wrapping pieces of homespun around the cords of my existing bare white lights.
The photo below shows a homespun white light draped around my kitchen sink wreath. This homespun white lights I purchased about 2 years ago. Just recently the strand blew out and after checking each light, no luck. So I thought I'll just put the fabric on a new strand! Welllll..duh, of course I had NO idea how it was put together and did not like the fact when I found out I had to untie each piece of separate homespun to get off of the blown out strand & then to tie each piece onto a new strand! (honestly, how I thought the homespun was attached...I really have no idea!!) Then my hubby says...mind you when I'm all done..."You could have just replaced each bulb instead of un-tieing each piece of fabric." So then comes my Charlie Brown yell "ARRGGHHHH!!!" But it all worked out because I found out how these are made and then wanted to make my own!
So now here are the 2 I worked on yesterday. First my living room one. Here is a before pic of the plain strand of lights:
Here is all the fabric I had chosen to use all cut up into pieces. I chose a light blue print, a red & white gingham and some muslin. I did not measure them, most are around the same length and width. I just 'eyeballed' when ripping them...I did not want them to be 'perfect':
I'm making progress!
Here it is finished and hung up!
If you notice, I 'dressed' the little angel doll (in the 'plain' lights photo..she's naked!). I had received her as a gift from a prim friend and just decided to make her some clothes while I was playing with fabric! I made her a little hang tag too with her name "Angel" and, I don't believe you can see, but made a little halo with rusty wire and it has a few rusty bells on it.
The 2nd strand I made I hung up in our bedroom. Here are the colors I had chosen for this one: red, a printed dark green and a printed brown fabric:
My fingers were aching by this point...what exercise! ha-ha!
I draped the homespun white lights around an existing pipberry garland above the bedroom window. Here is the before pic...kind of bland:
Here is the 'after' result:
And a close up of the lights and homespun, I think the colors are very 'warm' feeling:
1 day ago