~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

MakeDo Chair

I've had this old small 'cat chair' for about 10 years. I Finally decided to retire it and make something prim outta him! So here is my version of a MakeDo Chair. Here is Mr. Kitty chair "before":


First I took off his tail, his arms and whiskers, then the homespun bow around his neck and the little red wooden heart.


I then took cardboard off of a flower box I had and used a piece of that to make the back and the top of the chair tall & square:


I measured and cut other pieces of the box to make the complete top and sides of the chair and hot glued all into place:




Next I filled up the holes with hot glue. These holes are where the arms of the chair used to be posted into. I painted the seat a nice prim black.




I took clumps of polyfil and hot glued them all over the back of the chair. This was to make it 'comfy' looking for when I attach the muslin fabric over it.


Now time to sew! If you read my blog, you know in several post I declare not to be a good sewer, but I just do what I can. So I took a piece of muslin and tucked in where it needed to be, then I took a big 'ol needle and sewed it in place. I give you permission to laugh, especially the pic of the back of the chair! But I'll put it against a wall anyways! Tee-hee!



I took the piece of homespun the cat chair had around his neck and tied it around the bottom of the chair, just above the seat. The red wooden heart, I glued near the top of the chair...and it's done!




I eventually want to make a Prairie Doll to sit in the chair. I've had her pattern cut out for months now....just have not made....ya know...it's a sewing project! But when I do, she'll have her own little chair now!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kitty!!!! HOW CUTE is that?! I love that, how creative! Hope all is well in your world and hope your staying warm:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has a really tall back, so depending on the size of your doll, you could have her stand and another small one sit maybe. I love make-overs and you did good,a mini wingback, I like it much better. Show it again when you finish your prairie doll. Just start sewing, it's easy, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your make-do chair...thanks so much for showing us the steps you took to get it there.
    Very creative!!!
    Thanks!!
    Darla
    The Prim Patch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kitty, It turned out really cute. Great job!
    Tam

    ReplyDelete