~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Oh, bring us a figgy pudding!!



Figgy pudding is also known as Christmas pudding or plum pudding. It's a traditional English dessert that's actually more cake-ish than pudding-ish.

And I made my very first one today!! Yep, a day late for Christmas...but I was determined to make it this year! On Christmas day we ate so much other stuff, I could not bring myself to make it!

The pudding, a steamed cakelike treat that's usually a chockablock with dried fruits such as figs, raisins, plums, apple, lemon and orange peel together with butter, sugar, eggs, milk, rum, nuts, cinnamon, cloves and ginger! Sometimes the pudding contains suet, a raw beef or mutton fat. The pudding can also be saturated with brandy, dark beer, or other alcohols.



If you'd like to flame the pudding, warm 1/3 cup of brandy, cognac or rum in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour the warm liquid over the top of the pudding, and then, taking every precaution that Smokey Bear would, set a match to the alcohol. When the flames die out, cut the pudding into generous pieces.



Now....the recipe I made I did not flame and it did not contain any figs, plums, fruit peel, suet or alcohol....sounds boring huh? Oh but it was sooooo good! Now since this was the very first time I've made AND tasted Christmas Pudding I had nothing to compare it to, but I thought it was delish!

I got my recipe from AllRecipes.com and the author of the recipe states "This is just like traditional Christmas pudding, but with less fat. You can also line the mold with pecan halves or cranberries before filling."......That's what I think I'll try next time...the cranberries!

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours 50 Minutes
Servings: 12

Ingredients:
4 carrots, peeled and grated
2 apples - peeled, cored, and grated (I used Granny Smith apples)
1 cup raisins
1 cup fine bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (Since I'm trying to avoid refined white flour, I used wheat flour, I would have used almond flour, but was out of it!)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar (I used Sucanat since I'm trying to stay clear of refined white sugar)
4 eggs

Directions:
1. Combine the carrots, apples, raisins, and bread crumbs in a bowl. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and allspice in a separate small bowl. Cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs in a separate large bowl; stir in the flour mixture. Add the carrot mixture and mix well. Transfer mixture to a lightly-greased, 2-quart mold.

2. Place a steamer rack in the bottom of a large, deep pot. Set the filled mold on top of the steamer rack. Pour enough water into the bottom of the pot to cover the bottom 2/3 of the mold. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer for 2 hours 45 minutes, adding water occasionally to maintain the water level. Remove from water and allow to cool 10 minutes before turning out of mold onto a plate.

I then topped with a Plum Pudding sauce which was very yummy!

Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons margarine (I used butter, I try to stay away from margarine)
3/4 cup white sugar (I used Sucanat instead)
1 egg
2 cups milk (I used fat free milk)
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour (Used wheat flour, 1st choice would have been almond flour, but I am out of it)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine margarine, sugar and the egg. Pour in milk and cook until mixture begins to bubble; be careful not to scald. Stir in flour and vanilla; mix well and serve.

Here is the pudding in the pot steaming:






It's done!




After 10 minutes, it came out of the mold:







The first slice!




Topped with the Plum Pudding Sauce:




References:
Apple & Carrot Christmas Pudding

Plum Pudding Sauce

NPR

We Wish You a Merry Christmas

1 comment:

  1. Oh yum, that looks really good. Not the fruit cake that gets passed but this one would be eaten up for sure.
    Love the blog and I am one of your followers. heheh
    Hugs my Prim friend
    Jan

    ReplyDelete